If you are arriving in Calais by car, you can use this alternative route to Ieper. Note that this journey only features one audio story. Allow for one full day.
1. Drive from Calais to Wimille and visit the Terlincthun British Cemetery where 31 New Zealanders are buried.
2. From Wimille, drive to Étaples and visit the Étaples Military Cemetery where 261 New Zealanders are buried. Étaples was the site of a large British base during the First World War, including hospitals, training, and reinforcement campls.
3. From Étaples, drive to Montreuil-sur-Mer, Haig’s former General Headquarters and the see the Haig monument. This pleasant town is a perfect stop for lunch and if you have time you can visit the ramparts and two local museums.
4. From Montreuil-sur-Mer, drive to Hazebrouck which was the location of the New Zealand Stationary Hospital, and visit Hazebrouck Communal Cemetery, where 30 New Zealand soldiers are buried.
5. From Hazebrouck, drive to Bailleul and listen to the audio story ‘Bailleul Communal Cemetery’ in the Behind the Lines trail.